An English woman has expressed her horror after biting into something crunchy in a wrap bought at McDonald’s and discovering a mediumsized snail hiding inside. Shelby Paige Forrester, from Hodnet, Shropshire, England, posted the unusual fact on social media and vowed: “I will never eat at McDonald’s again”.
In a post with multiple images showing the animal with its shell broken into several pieces, she shared how startled she was when she bit into the wrapper and felt something that was “too crunchy” for an ingredient in the filling being.
“I literally took two or three bites and felt something crunch in my mouth. I was hoping it was a piece of chicken,” he says. “I spat it out and was silent for about ten minutes. My husband asked what was wrong with me so I asked him to look at the package and clarify what it was because I was absolutely embarrassed.”
The husband examined the contents of the filling and said she chewed a snail. From then on, she says, she didn’t know what to do, whether to run to the sink and throw up or vent her anger.
“I was paranoid that he had given me some disease because snails carry all kinds of diseases,” the woman told The Sun newspaper.
The couple then threw away the rest of their meal and called the network to complain. They were asked to return to the venue and given another free meal which they declined.
“I said I want my money back and I want the claim to be made. I want some sort of compensation for having a snail in my mouth,” Shelby said.
The next day, she received a call from a McDonald’s employee who apologized for what had happened and told her the molluscum was being tested in a lab.
Shelby used to visit McDonald’s twice a month with her husband and two young children, but she vowed never to eat there again.
In a note sent to The Sun, the company said food quality is of utmost importance to the chain, which places great emphasis on quality control and adheres to strict standards to prevent defects.
“When the customer brought the matter to the attention of the restaurant staff, we immediately apologized and offered a full refund. Our customer service team also reached out to the customer to apologize and help find a solution.”