Woman has to amputate legs and arms after eating uncooked tilapia; Know the risks Forum Magazine

The American Laura Barajas, 40, had His four limbs were amputated after he ate undercooked tilapia. The infection occurred at the beginning of August, but the woman is still in the hospital today. Last Wednesday (13) she lost her arms and legs.

The problem was caused by an infection with the Vibrio Vulnificus bacterium. Laura bought the fish at a local market in San Josein the state of California. The next day she was diagnosed with a bacterial infection.

Why the amputation?

Laura therefore had to have her limbs amputated The standard treatment against the bacteria did not work on his body.

The doctors put her in an induced coma. His fingers were Blackas well as the feet and the lower lip. She was there complete sepsis and his kidneys were failingLaura’s friend Anna Messina told KRON.

Amputation was found as an alternative prevent the pathogen from spreading and prevent dead tissue from accumulating in the limbs and worsening the infection.

The North American has been in the hospital for more than a month and since there is no comprehensive healthcare system in the United States, The medical expenses drained the family’s savings, which started an online fundraiser for Laura through the website GoFundMe.

Risks of Vibrio Vulnificus

Vibrio vulnificus is a rare flesheating bacteria found along the entire coast of the United States.

His symptoms include Diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and chills. In more serious cases, like Laura’s, this can happen Limb amputations and even death.

This is stated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). kills one in five infected people in the US. The bacteria are usually spread by eating raw or undercooked oysters or other types of shellfish.

Regarding Brazil, the Foodborne Illness Manual of the São Paulo Ministry of Health states There are no epidemiological data on the frequency of Vibrio vulnificus in the country.