Cover photo: A member of Ukraine’s National Guard walks on a bridge over the Siverskyi Donets river in the city of Svyatohirsk, Donetsk region, October 01, 2022. STRINGER/ Portal
- The Ukrainian army entered Lyman on Saturday, October 1, strategic city in eastern Ukraine, in the Donetsk region. “The Ukrainian flag is already flying over Lyman,” confirmed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in his daily address on Saturday evening. “Allied troops threatened with encirclement were withdrawn from Lyman towards more favorable lines,” he said in a press release from the Russian Defense Ministry. Lyman has been under Moscow control since the end of May and is an important railway junction, which in particular made it possible to supply Russian troops.
- “The fight goes on, but there is no trace of a pseudo-referendum there,” Volodymyr Zelenskyy continued, referring to the annexation referenda held by Russia this week on the territory of four Ukrainian oblasts, including Donetsk, and harshly condemned by Kyiv and the West.
- The leader of the Russian Republic of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov, on Saturday urged the Russian army to use “low-power nuclear weapons” in Ukraine, where Moscow’s troops are struggling in some areas.
- At least twenty-four civilians, including ten children, were found shot dead in their car in northeastern Ukraine near Kupyansk, Kharkov region governor Oleh Synehoubov announced on Saturday.
- The illegal annexation of the territories of the Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhia and Kherson regions, The war declared by Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday makes “ending the war much more difficult, almost impossible,” European diplomatic chief Josep Borrell told Spanish television channel RTVE on Saturday.
- The Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline connecting Russia with Germany has stopped leaking underwater Baltic, Ulrich Lissek, spokesman for the company of the same name, told the AFP news agency on Saturday. “The water pressure has more or less closed the pipeline so the gas inside can’t come out,” Lissek said. The conclusion is that there is still gas in the pipeline. »
- The Director of the Zaporizhia Nuclear Power Plantwhich is on Ukrainian territory but occupied by Russian troops, was detained by a Russian patrol, the joint-stock company responsible for operating the Energoatom site said on Saturday, October 1.
- Christine Lambrecht, German Defense Minister, made a surprise visit to Ukraine on Saturday, his first since the start of the Russian invasion, when Kyiv urged Berlin to supply main battle tanks. Mrs. Lambrecht traveled to the port city of Odessa in southern Ukraine. In particular, she met her Ukrainian counterpart, Oleksii Reznikov.
Find our direct from yesterday by clicking this link.
Read all our articles, analysis and reports on the war in Ukraine
Report. In Zaporijia, a maternity hospital overlooking the front
Detection. France is preparing to deliver new Caesar guns to Ukraine
narrative. Celebrating the annexation of new Ukrainian regions, Vladimir Putin delivers a messianic and fiercely anti-Western speech
Editorial staff. Putin: the die-hard choice
Detection. In Russia, the exodus of opponents of the war
Report. Police reinforcements to surround Lyman
decryptions. In Russia, French business has been caught in the crossfire
Thorough. Washington announces new arms deliveries to Kyiv
grandstand. “Putin’s war against Ukraine has entered a new, even more dangerous phase”