- The Ukrainian army is engaged in a “bitter” confrontation with Russian forces trying to take Vouhledar, located 150 kilometers from Bachmout, in Donetsk Oblast. Both sides have claimed victory, but Kyiv says the city remains contested.
- A new Russian offensive is being prepared for February 24, exactly a year to the day after Russia invaded Ukraine., assured Oleksi Danilov, Secretary of the Defense and National Security Council of Ukraine. According to the Institute for the Study of War, Russia is trying to “disperse” Ukrainian forces to “create the conditions for a decisive offensive operation.”
- In the east, in Chasiv Yar, two people were killed and at least five injured in Russian artillery shelling on Fridaylocal authorities said.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy welcomed Poland’s announced decision to supply 60 more tanks to his countryHalf of which will be a modernized version of the Soviet T-72, following the already promised 14 German-made Leopard 2s.
- North Korea on Friday condemned the US decision to send tanks to Ukraine. Washington is fomenting a “proxy war to destroy Russia,” said Kim Yo-jong, sister of leader Kim Jong-un. Pyongyang will “always” stand by the Russians, she added.
- Several Western countries have promised Ukraine 321 heavy tankssaid on Friday on BFM-TV the Ambassador of Ukraine in France Vadym Omelchenko.
- President Zelenskyy condemned the “hypocrisy” of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Despite repeated calls from Kyiv to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes from the Paris 2024 Olympics, the IOC said on Wednesday it was “looking into” the possibility of allowing them to compete under a neutral banner.
- The European Union decided on Friday to extend its sanctions by six months against Russia after it annexed Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula in 2014 and prepares new measures against Moscow.
Find our live yesterday by clicking this link.
Read all our articles, analysis and reports on the war in Ukraine
decryptions. The first prisoners recruited by Wagner for the fight in Ukraine return freely to civilian life
Detection. Despite the war in Ukraine, Wagner continues to weave his web in Africa
decryptions. How and when will the tanks promised to Kyiv be delivered?
Report. In Georgia, Russian deserters in exile are put to the test
decryptions. Ukraine at war with Russian propagandists
Editorial staff. Looking to Russia, the capital of European economic resilience
Portrait. Hélène Carrère d’Encausse, a great connoisseur of Russia “in the middle of the fog”
narrative. In Moscow, Russians dare to lay flowers for Ukraine: “I’m a coward, but at least I can do that”
References. The diary of two Ukrainian sisters: “The Russians have increased their presence in Ukraine. Everyone is talking about a new attack on Kyiv. It makes my blood run cold”
Factual. The world’s answers to your most frequently asked questions