Cover photo: German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in front of a Leopard 2 tank during a visit to a military base in Bergen, Germany, October 17, 2022. FABIAN BIMMER/ Portal
- Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz will address the German Bundestag on Wednesday, January 25 at 1 p.m with, in key, a possible announcement about deliveries of Leopard heavy tanks to Ukraine, urging them to defend themselves against the Russian invasion.
- Two German media, the Spiegel and the news channel NTV, assured that Mr. Scholz would give his approval to countries like Poland and Finland that want to deliver German tanks to Kyiv.
- “Discussions must end with decisions”, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy demanded on Tuesday evening. “The allies have the necessary number of tanks” needed for Kyiv to win against Moscow, he said in his daily address.
- Germany’s new Defense Minister Boris Pistorius, said on Tuesday at a press conference in Berlin with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg that he had “explicitly encouraged partner countries that have operational Leopard tanks to train Ukrainian armed forces on these chariots”. The NATO chief welcomed Mr Pistorius’ “clear message”.
- “Such deliveries bring no good” On the other hand, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov reacted to Russian-German relations.
- A number of senior officials have been removed from their posts in Ukraine Tuesday in the wake of a corruption case involving army supplies. In addition to the deputy head of the presidential administration and the deputy attorney general, a total of five regional governors, four deputy ministers and two heads of government agencies are stepping down.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy justified these decisions on Tuesday evening, “necessary” to have “a strong state”. “It’s right, it’s necessary for our protection and it helps our rapprochement with the European institutions,” he emphasized in his daily speech.
- Two British aid workers died on the front line. Missing for several days, Chris Parry, 28, and Andrew Bagshaw, 47, were reportedly killed trying to evacuate residents under fire in Soledar in eastern Ukraine, their families said Tuesday night.
Find our live yesterday by clicking this link.
Read all our articles, analysis and reports on the war in Ukraine
decryptions. Volodymyr Zelenskyy shows his fight against corruption in order to reassure the population and Westerners
Chronic. “The only credible alternative to continued western aid, it seems, is a surrender by Kiev”
Synthesis. Corruption scandals have rocked the government of Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Ukraine
decryptions. The Russian army at the time of resuming disciplinary control
Factual. Berlin will not stand in the way of supplying Leopard tanks to Kyiv, says Annalena Baerbock
decryptions. Israel is cautiously opening its military arsenal in Kyiv but managing its key ties with Moscow
Analyze. How Vladimir Putin missed his bet
Chronic. “The price of wheat has fallen and has returned to pre-war levels in Ukraine”
Factual. Russia promises ‘retaliation’ against French media after RT France asset freeze
Analyze. Ukraine: the unexpected resistance
decryption. Western Tanks in the Ukraine War: An Overview of Their Role and Tactical Use
Factual. The world’s answers to your most frequently asked questions