Cover photo: A woman crosses a stream on a temporary bridge made from rubble in Bakhmout, January 6, 2023. DIMITAR DILKOFF / AFP
- President of Ukraine Volodymyr ZelenskyyHe said Monday, January 9, that his troops were resisting “new, even more violent attacks.” Soledar, near Bakhmout, a city in eastern Ukraine that Moscow has been trying to conquer for months. He assured that his troops had “gained additional time (…) for Ukraine”. The village of Bakhmouste is said to have been captured by pro-Russian troops.
- Two civilians died in Kramatorskin the eastern Donetsk region was hit by a Russian missile, Kirill Tymoshenko, Deputy Chief of Staff of the President, announced on the evening of January 9.
- Chancellor Olaf Scholzsaid on Monday he remains convinced Germany must coordinate arms sales to Ukraine with its allies as pressure mounts on Berlin to send tanks to Kyiv.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced the release of fifty Ukrainian soldiers on Sunday evening. Earlier this year, presumably as part of an exchange with Russian prisoners. “I am especially grateful to those of our units who contribute to the exchange fund,” said the President of Ukraine. Anyone who captures the enemy on our land is an opportunity to liberate some Ukrainians. »
- The Russian army said on Sunday it had, without giving a date, attacked barracks in Kramatorsk, inflicting heavy casualties Hundreds dead in ‘retaliation’ for Ukrainian bombing of Makiivka. Kyiv has denied an attack on military installations, saying the Russian claim “is not true”.
- In the Sumy region in north-eastern Ukraine alone, the local administration reported more than a hundred bombings and strikes in the early evening daytime on Sunday.
- According to Denys Chmyhal, Prime Minister of Ukraine, The war has led to the creation of a minefield he estimates at 250,000 square kilometers on Ukrainian territory.
- According to the British Ministry of Defence The Russians are strengthening their positions in Zaporizhia Oblastin southern Ukraine, “particularly between the towns of Vassylivka and Orikhiv” for fear of an offensive by the Ukrainian army.
Find our live yesterday by clicking this link.
Read all our articles, analysis and reports on the war in Ukraine
decryptions. The Bandera Myth and the Reality of a Nazi Collaborator
Factual. The war has turned Ukraine into the world’s largest minefield, according to the Ukrainian Prime Minister
Chronic. Martial arts, war and oppression in Chechnya
news Why France’s delivery of light tanks could turn the tide
Factual. The world’s answers to your most frequently asked questions