RIO DE JANEIRO — UFC 283’s main event saw one fighter reach the pinnacle of the sport while another rode into the sunset.
Jamahal Hill (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) defeated Glover Teixeira (33-9 MMA, 16-7 UFC) to win the UFC Light Heavyweight Title via unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-44 ). . The vacant light heavyweight title fight was the main event of UFC 283 at Jeunesse Arena.
Many pundits wondered how Hill would fare given Teixeira’s difficult challenges. The tone was set early as Hill stopped numerous takedown attempts from Teixeira. The first round was mostly contested from long range, with an occasional (failed) attempt by Teixeira to drag her down.
The pace picked up in Round 2 as the defense largely fell by the wayside. In a round that wouldn’t have been out of place had it matched his five exciting rounds against Jiri Prochazka in June, Teixeira found himself in trouble after a headbutt from Hill.
Hill sensed Texeira’s instability and fell with dozens of punches. Teixeira held Hill at bay but absorbed some damage in the process. Somehow, somehow, Teixeira brought Hill down and landed ground and pound before the round ended.
In lap 3, Hill turned up the volume. He smashed Teixeira with a barrage of punches as the fight seemed on the verge of stopping at several points. Hill returned to the headbutt again and found success, but Teixeira stayed tough.
In the championship rounds, Teixeira was mutilated with nasty cuts over both eyes. He absorbed more and more punches as the round progressed – so many punches, in fact, that there was debate in the corner about throwing in the towel.
THE SOUND OF THESE HEADKICKS 😖 #UFC283 pic.twitter.com/6M21XFQuK4
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) January 22, 2023
Ultimately, the corners and doctors decided to let the fight go on, after which Teixeira exclaimed, “Let’s go baby. Damn A.”
Teixeira came out aggressively, right on top of Hill. In the first minute he tripped Hill and landed in Mount. Hill climbed and ended up on top – a decisive turn. With a minute remaining, Texeira escaped to his feet. As the clock ticked, Hill avoided unnecessary exchanges en route to the final bell.
Emotions plummet for Jamahal Hill ahead of the official decision #UFC283 pic.twitter.com/q4IuvCFDZy
— UFC (@ufc) January 22, 2023
Shortly after the title was wrapped around an emotional Hill’s waist, Teixeira removed his gloves and placed them in the center of the cage – as he announced his retirement.
“I’m too hard for my own good,” Teixeira said. “I’m too hard for my own health,” he explained, explaining why he’d rather turn to coaching at this point in his life.
Glover Teixeira placed his gauntlets in the center of the octagon after an epic battle #UFC283 pic.twitter.com/InEUwZPtnJ
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) January 22, 2023
Recent UFC 283 results include:
- Defeated Jamahal Hill. Glover Teixeira by unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-44) – to win the light heavyweight title
- Brandon Moreno defeated. Deiveson Figueiredo via TKO (doctor’s stop) – Round 3, 5:00 – to unify flyweight title
- Gilbert Burns defeated. Neil Magny via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:15
- Defeated Jessica Andrade. Lauren Murphy by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)
- Defeated Johnny Walker. Paul Craig via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:16
- Ihor Potieria def. Mauricio Rua via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:05
- Brunno Ferreira v Gregory Rodrigues via KO (punch) – Round 1, 4:13
- Thiago defeated Moises. Melquizael Costa via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:05
- Gabriel Bonfim defeated. Mounir Lazzez via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:49
- Defeated Jailton Almeida. Shamil Abdurakhimov via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:56
- Cody Staman defeated. Luan Lacerda by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ishmael Bonfim defeated. Terrance McKinney via KO (knee) – Round 2, 2:17
- Nicolas Dalby defeated. Warlley Alves by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Josiane Nunes defeated. Zarah Fairn by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Daniel Marcos defeated. Saimon Oliveira via KO (punches) – Round 2, 2:18
Visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for UFC 283 for more information on the card.
UFC 283: Rio de Janeiro Official Scorecards
View 30 photos