NIUS letter 02/17/2023 11:25 am
Osman Halebíye, the 12-year-old boy rescued 260 hours after the quake, and Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca in Turkey’s Hatay Aytug Can Sencar province/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
Osman Halebiye, a 12-year-old boy from a Syrian family, was rescued in Antioquia after being buried under rubble for more than 260 hours
The little boy told rescuers that more people were trapped nearby.
In a neighboring district, two other survivors were taken out alive by Turkish forces
In Turkey there were new miraculous rescues. Three people were pulled alive from the rubble of the tremors after being trapped for 261 hours. They were in the city of Antioquia (in the province of Hatay), one of the hardest hit by the earthquakes. of magnitude 7.7 and 7.6, which hit an area of about 100,000 square kilometers in the south-east of the country.
Mehmet Ali Sakiroglu (26) and Mustafa Avci (34) were brought out alive by the emergency services of a collapsed building in a district in the northwest of the city.
In a nearby neighborhood, a 12-year-old boy from a Syrian family, Osman Halebiye was also rescued. The little boy told rescuers that there were more people buried nearby.. The little boy was later visited by the country’s health minister, Fahrettin Koca.
But the tragedy continues to kill other victims. A Syrian family of seven, including five children, who was rescued after the earthquakes in Turkey last week and died this Friday due to the fire in the house where they had taken shelter after the destruction of his house.
According to Turkish newspaper Hurriyet, the family moved to live with a relative in Konya after losing their home in the Turkish city of Nurdagi, one of the hardest hit by the earthquakes. The adobe house suffered a fire in the early hours of Friday morning, causing the roof to collapse. The couple and their five children, aged between thirteen and four, died..
At least 38,044 people have died in Turkey from the earthquakes on February 6, according to the latest official data. There would be at least 4,000 dead in Syria. The total number of victims is expected to continue to rise.