The New York Mets changed their catch depth before Thursday’s game against the Chicago Cubs by removing Tomás Nido from the injured list and picking up Gary Sánchez for the call-up. Arguably the most notable aspect of these deals is that they ensure young Francisco Alvarez remains part of the big league squad.
Nido, 29, has been out since early May with vision problems related to dry eye syndrome, which he says is a complication of his previous LASIK eye surgery. He underwent a procedure that helps keep his eyes moist. “It kind of eased the eye pressure I was having,” Nido told reporters, including MLB.com, last week. “I felt like someone was pressing my head. I had a headache for about 72 hours straight.”
Nido had appeared in 19 games before being listed, batting .118/.148/.118 (minus-24 OPS+) with no home runs or extra base shots. He was never much of a threat for attack, but it’s safe to assume that his vision issues affected his ability to deal damage.
The 30-year-old Sanchez appeared in just three games for the Mets. He went 1-6 with a batted run and zero extra base hits. He joined the organization in early May after being fired by the San Francisco Giants. It’s unclear if he’ll find another big-league job or if he’ll accept a minor-league assignment.
Alvarez, 21, has hit .253/.316/.506 (124 OPS+) with six homers in 95 plate appearances. He went into the season ranked No. 3 in the minors by CBS Sports. Alvarez is likely to remain the starter with the most days in action as veteran Omar Narváez remains unavailable after suffering a calf injury in April.
The Mets will go into Thursday night’s game with a 25-25 season record.