A 34-year-old woman died Sunday after undergoing cosmetic surgery.
A 34-year-old Spaniard died on Sunday after an operation. Since the end of April, the young woman has been in a coma after an infection during cosmetic surgery. She died on Sunday morning, according to the Spanish newspaper Diario de Navarra.
The patient, originally from Palma de Mallorca, underwent an unspecified operation at the clinic of the European Center for Aesthetic Medicine (Ceme) in Madrid and was discharged. But a few days later she suffered from a serious infection and was taken to a hospital in La Paz. The medical team at the hospital then put him in a coma.
“Sadness and Sadness”
The young woman’s family lawyer, Mar de La Loma, expressed “the dismay and sadness” of her companion Daniel and his loved ones. She said there is “need more than ever for a rigorous investigation into the clinic’s practices. Not so much what happened in the operating room as in the post-surgical procedures performed” and that other patients may have been victims of the same infection.
The 46th Classroom Court of Madrid has launched a tort investigation into two doctors and the clinic for causing negligent bodily harm. “We believe that there are too many coincidences with fatal consequences. There has to be an investigation and they have to pay for it,” says the lawyer.
“No medical breach of duty”
According to the Spanish newspaper, the Ceme Clinic expressed its regret at the death of the patient. Management also recalled that a report had been submitted to the Court of Inquiry showing “that no breach of medical duty can be inferred from the health professionals who cared for the patient”.
The patient would have suffered from an extraordinary infectious complication called necrotizing fasciitis after plastic surgery, the bacteria of which “are not transmitted to the hospital or nursing staff but originate in the patient’s microbiota”.
In addition, the report specifies that the diagnosis “can be difficult in the first hours or first days of its presentation”. When “signs of general impairment were noted, she was transferred to a more complex center,” the report said.