Shoulder operation, a patient catches fire on the operating table in Russia

Orange with 6Medias, published Friday 20 January 2023 at 20:15

A Russian patient undergoing surgery for a broken shoulder found herself on fire on the operating table, Ouest-France reports. A short circuit in the medical equipment is suspected to be the cause of the incident. When a patient came in for surgery for a broken shoulder, a patient caught fire on the operating table at a Moscow hospital, Ouest-France reports. According to the Russian news agency Ria Novosti, one of the surgeons was also injured. The patient, meanwhile, escaped with a few burns.

The investigative committee of the Russian Federation responsible for this unusual case reported the facts via its Telegram account: “The patient was burned by a fire in the operating room during a shoulder operation.” The cause of the flames could be a short circuit in the surgical equipment in the operating room. Eventually, the flames could have spread to the patient through the fabric she was lying on. Burns to the neck, back and chest According to Russian media Ren TV, the patient suffered burns on her neck, back and chest, without giving any further information on her health. The media nevertheless claim that “the doctors gave her all the help she needed”. Alexander Bastrykin, head of Russia’s investigative committee, will need to clarify the gray areas of this potentially dramatic incident.