One of the youngest victims of the horrific Sea World helicopter crash has miraculously awakened from his coma and has grasped his father’s hand.
Nicholas Tadros, 10, has been fighting for his life in hospital since January 2 when two Sea World helicopters collided in mid-air on the Gold Coast.
It resulted in the death of Nicholas’ mother Vanessa, 36, along with British newlyweds Ron and Diane Hughes, 65 and 57, and pilot Ash Jenkinson, 40.
Nicholas was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital and was on life support.
Sea World crash victim Nicholas Tadros (centre), 10, has been holding his father’s hand, an important sign of his miraculous recovery after being on life support (pictured Nicholas’ father Simon and mother Vanessa, who tragically assisted died in the crash).
He underwent six-hour surgery last Tuesday to repair broken bones in his legs and left hand after being transferred to Brisbane’s Queensland Children’s Hospital.
Nicholas’ father, Simon Tadros, revealed in a Facebook post that his son had been taken off life support “a few days ago”.
“Nicky has been off life support for a few days and his body has responded very well, still on a ventilator to support his breathing,” he wrote.
“Sometimes they lowered his sedative medicine to see if he was responsive and he would wake up and be able to nod or shake his head in response to some questions.”
Simon said that Nicholas “was also able to hold my hand.”
He was still unable to move his legs and hospital staff told Simon that this was possible due to the condition of the bones in his son’s legs.
Nicholas’ father Simon revealed his son had responded well after being taken off life support and was able to answer questions with a nod or shake of his head
“Due to the pain, stress and anxiety, they had to re-sedate him for the time being,” Simon continued.
He explained that Nicholas had “a few more surgeries next week” including “one on Tuesday and a major operation on his right ankle on Friday”.
He concluded his update by thanking those who have expressed their support, love, or prayed for his son.
“Please keep praying for Nicholas, he has a long, hard road ahead of him,” added Simon.
Nicholas underwent five surgeries in a six-hour marathon on Tuesday – eight days after the helicopter he was in collided with another helicopter and crashed into a sandbar.
Nicholas underwent six-hour surgery last Tuesday to repair broken bones in his legs and left hand after being transferred to Queensland Children’s Hospital
A family friend shared an update from Nicholas Tadro’s father ahead of the major surgery and urged people to pray for the boy
Nicholas faced a monumental health struggle after being pulled from the fiery wreckage, particularly when jet fuel was discovered in his lungs.
His father revealed details of the marathon surgery on Monday, saying it was “a big test for his body, his lungs and his heart”.
“I know it’s a bit late now asking people to pray for tomorrow, I always miss the prayer sessions with you, I’m too busy at the moment.”
Mr Bakhos also urged people to pray for Nicholas and said he has already seen “some miracles” with his improving condition and survived the “risky” transfer to Brisbane hospital.
He hoped the prayers would give the boy the “strength and protection” he needed to get through the surgeries.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating the crash and expects to complete the investigation next year
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating the crash and expects to complete the investigation between July and September 2024.
Video footage from one of the helicopters shows a passenger attempting to warn Pilot Michael James of the collision from the oncoming helicopter.
British-born pilot Mr Jenkinson was said goodbye to family and friends at a memorial service in Southport last Friday.