Rushdie: Blinken charges, Tehran denies links to aggressor

Rushdie: Blinken charges, Tehran denies links to aggressor

(ANSA) — TEHERAN, AUGUST 15 — Alone in the Biden administration so far, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has explicitly accused Iran of at least inspiring the attack on Salman Rushdie. “Iranian institutions have been inciting violence against the writer for years, and the state media have cheered the attack on him in recent days. All of this is despicable,” Blinken said in a statement released by the State Department.

For its part, the Tehran government has “categorically” denied any connection with the aggressor. “We categorically deny” any connection with the attacker and “no one has the right to accuse the Islamic Republic of Iran,” said State Department spokesman Nasser Kanani. This is Tehran’s first official response to the writer’s stabbing last Friday during a literary festival in upstate New York. (HAND).

REPRODUCTION RESERVED © Copyright ANSA

]]>

Get the embed code

]]>