The Pokémon Company has released more information about the Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) expansion Scarlet and Purple, which will be released on March 31, 2023.
This new expansion will be included a revised version of Pokemon-ex, a game mechanic consisting of Pokémon with high HP and powerful attacks and abilities. Unlike the Black & White and XY series Pokémon-EX, which were all Basic Pokémon, the Scarlet and Purple series Pokémon-EX can be Basic, Stage 1, or Stage 2 Pokémon. These Pokemon are powerful, but offer two reward cards when KO’d
Inspired by the teracrystallization phenomenon from the Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Purple video games, the expansion will mark the beginnings of Pokémon-ex Tera Crystal, with unique, textured artwork that showcases her Tera Crystal type. These new cards follow the same rules as Pokémon-ex, but take no damage from attacks started on the bench.
In addition to the recently announced style changes to Pokémon TCG cards, the expansion will include Scarlet & Purple fully illustrated textured maps Depicting Pokémon in simple poses and bright colors. The expansion will also contain rare arts cards and rare special arts cards that show the entire evolutionary chain of certain Pokémon. These cards illustrate these Pokémon in their natural environment and allow you to discover their unique personalities.
Among the most notable cards, the expansion includes:
- 12 double Rare Pokémon-ex, including two Tera Crystal Pokémon-ex with Arcanine and Gyarados;
- 12 ultra-rare Pokémon-ex and eight ultra-rare supporter cards;
- 24 Pokémon with rare illustrations;
- 10 Pokémon and Supporter cards with rare special graphics;
- Six extremely rare gold-textured cards that can contain Pokémon-ex, Trainer cards, and Energy cards.