This post has been updated from its original publication to include current facts
We don’t know if the Prince and Princess of Wales have seen Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Harry & Meghan Netflix documentaries, but we *know* that Prince William knows some of the content. And he’s not very happy about it!
75+ gift ideas for everyone on your holiday list
Prince William, 40, was reportedly “angry” that his younger brother used footage of their late mother’s infamous Panorama interview with Martin Bashir in the Netflix docuseries, as he spoke about how invasive the media was – especially after revealing that the late Princess Diana’s interview caused her a lot of heartache!
“William will be furious,” royal expert Katie Nicholl reportedly told OK! that excerpts from the Panorama interview will be shown. “William has campaigned to ensure that this footage is never shown again, so it will be very frustrating for William to use it on his brother’s own reality TV show,” added Nicholl.
Prince William with the institution wants Princess Diana to be silenced, but it appears that Prince Harry is saying no about his Netflix series, My Mom Won’t Be Silenced. I will repeat her words again and again. Well done Harry and Princess Meghan Markle pic.twitter.com/21a6KullXA
— Peace (@Chizzy8) December 19, 2022
Since the Panorama interview was published, an investigation has revealed that Bashir “deceived” Princess Diana and used fake bank statements to gain access to her. Both Prince William and Prince Harry, 38, have spoken out about how their mother was in great pain and distress during the interview, with Prince William going so far as to ask that the interview be archived; although other royal experts believe this will “posthumously muzzle” Princess Diana. Royal biographer Andrew Morton called the interview “an important, historical interview that should be part of the public record”.
Prince William will reportedly “no longer sit back” while Prince Harry is making claims against the royal family
Prince William has so far maintained a dignified silence on Prince Harry and Meghan’s allegations against the royal family, including those made in their Netflix Harry & Meghan documentaries and those the royal family fears he may have accused them of his forthcoming memoir Spare hits shelves on January 10. But that could be about to change as reports suggest he may be breaking that rule to defend the institution! Wow!
Sources close to Prince William say he is ready to speak out against any claims in the upcoming Netflix documentary about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. https://t.co/6ci41Pcw6j
— InStyle (@InStyle) December 11, 2022
Prince William is reportedly ‘prepared to speak out’
According to the Chron, ahead of the docuseries’ release, sources close to Prince William said he was prepared to “deny any wild claims” his younger brother and sister-in-law might make in the six-part docuseries. which, as we all know, is quite unexpected as the royal family has a very strict, longstanding tradition of never complaining, never explaining.
Prince William, 40, “will no longer sit back when they make dubious claims about the royal family,” the palace insider told the Chron, adding that the palace is “reportedly preparing to respond quickly to inaccurate claims.” . Oops!
READ MORE: Ex-Palace employees are reportedly ‘seething with rage’ over ‘lies’ by ‘Harry & Meghan’
“The Prince and Princess team will wait and see what the Netflix series has to offer before deciding what to do. But you can see the direction of travel,” they continued, before further saying that the Palace is expecting the documentary, Oprah With More Cries, in reference to her sit-in interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired in March 2021.
The insider also addressed the fact that the first trailer for the docuseries was released while the Prince and Princess of Wales were on tour in the US, which Piers Morgan described on his Twitter account as selfish and very insightful. The insider told the pub that Kate and William were “surprised but not surprised” by the timing, adding: “It’s very tiring. Normally, when a member of the royal family has a high-profile trip abroad, then no one else at home would try to disrupt the message of that trip.”
Netflix Insider Says Docuseries Are Getting ‘Worse Than The Royals Can Imagine’
The first three episodes featured some never-before-seen pictures of Harry and Meghan’s three-year-old son Archie and their 18-month-old daughter Lilibet, as well as interviews with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealing how they met (spoiler alert) . : it was on Instagram!), her ongoing privacy and security issues, and discussing some of the drama surrounding Meghan’s estranged father Thomas Markle and half-sister Samantha Markle. A Netflix insider reportedly told The Mirror ahead of the final three episodes’ release that the palace is preparing for the worst, saying: “I really think it’s going to be worse than the royals can imagine. I’ve been told it’s going to be absolutely explosive and very harmful.”
Harpo Productions/Photographer: Joe Pugliese
Earlier Palace responses to Sussex allegations
Insiders have previously suggested that the royal family will step in much more quickly if bigger allegations are made than they did after the infamous interview with Oprah Winfrey. It took the palace two days to respond to Prince Harry and Meghan’s racism allegations in March 2021, in which they claimed a member of the royal family questioned son Archie’s skin color before he was born.
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the past few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the statement, which was “issued by Buckingham Palace on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen,” began. “The issues raised, particularly those of race, are worrying. Although some memories may vary, they are taken very seriously and addressed privately by the family. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be dearly loved family members.”
READ MORE: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle defend themselves over ‘misleading’ photo controversy