The Duke of Sussex made a surprise three-day solo visit to Mozambique this week – while preparing to return to the UK for a hurricane trip next month.
Prince Harry, 37, who is currently living in his $14 million mansion in California after stepping down from royal duties, stayed at the luxury resort of Vilanculos Beach Lodge for three days.
A source told Web Harry flew to Heathrow on Sunday where he was transferred to a connecting flight to Johannesburg.
According to Instagram page @moz_paparazzi, the royal father-of-two went on walks to see tourist spots in the area with friends and spoke with the president of the tourist board in the area, Yassin Amuji.
The royal appeared unaccompanied by his wife Meghan Markle, 41, or his children Archie, three, or Lilibet, one, on the trip.
Although the reason for his trip has not been disclosed, one of the Duke’s main projects is Travalyst – an organization that aims to make the tourism industry more sustainable and make it easier for travelers to make eco-friendly choices.
His surprise visit comes days after it was revealed the Sussexes will be coming to the UK next month for the first time since going platinum, to attend several charity events including the One Young World Summit in Manchester on September 5.
The Duke of Sussex, 37, made a surprise three-day solo visit to Mozambique this week (pictured during the trip).
In photos shared online from the Duke’s visit to the country, he looked relaxed in a gray polo shirt, baseball cap and navy blue shorts.
In a snapshot posted by author Eric Morier-Genoud Twitterthe royal was seen posing with another man.
The Duke has visited Mozambique before – in 2010 he paid a secret visit to the country where he joined British charity The Halo Trust.
The charity cleared a staggering 105,000 landmines from the northern part of the country and took then 25-year-old Harry to see their work in a village near the Cahora Bassa dam in Tete, central Mozambique.
The Duke has visited Mozambique before – in 2010 he paid a secret visit to the country where he joined British charity The Halo Trust (pictured in 2010).
His latest visit comes as royal experts said Harry and Meghan could use their visit to the UK next month to see the Queen – although their arrival coincides with a busy week in which the monarch will also meet the new prime minister.
They then travel to Germany for the Invictus Games Düsseldorf 2023 One Year to Go event before returning to the UK on September 8th for the WellChild Awards.
It is not known if their three-year-old son Archie or Lilibet, one, will join them.
The couple will likely want to spend time with the Queen, having enjoyed “barely 15 minutes” with her during platinum anniversary celebrations this summer, according to royal watchers.
The monarch is currently in Balmoral but will be in London on September 6 to meet either Liz Truss or Rishi Sunak when they are appointed Prime Minister.
Earlier this month she invited Harry and Meghan to her retreat in the Highlands, The Sun reported.
Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams suggested earlier this week that a meeting with the monarch would be more likely to take place in London or Windsor.
His surprise visit comes days after it was revealed the Sussexes will be coming to the UK next month for the first time since going platinum, to attend several charity events including the One Young World Summit in Manchester on September 5
He told Web: “The reports that the Queen had invited Harry and Meghan to Balmoral have never been confirmed. However, it would only make sense to see her when she is in Windsor and when they are based in Frogmore as they were only able to spend very little time with her during the Platinum Jubilee.
“If she comes down as expected, she can receive the new Prime Minister in Windsor or at Buckingham Palace. It would also be time for her and the Sussexes to discuss the future, which will hopefully be more constructive than the recent past.
“They also need to realize that some form of reconciliation in the platinum anniversary year would certainly benefit the image they desire as philanthropists.”
However, Phil Dampier suggested that Balmoral could be the more likely venue.
“Whether he meets the Queen will probably depend on her. If she tells them she wants to see them, I’m sure they’ll stop by for a chat,” he told Web.
“I’m sure she would hope that the relaxed atmosphere there would be more conducive to discussing things and trying to resolve the issues they are all facing.
“Meghan will not like the hunting and fishing environment of the Highlands but the Queen would be much more comfortable meeting her there than at a rushed meeting in London.”
A spokesman for the Sussexes said: “Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are delighted to be visiting several charities close to their hearts in early September.”
The announcement comes just weeks after it was revealed that Harry had filed a second lawsuit against the government and Scotland Yard over the decision not to allow him to pay for police protection when he was visiting from California.
The Duke of Sussex is already suing the Home Office over its decision in 2020 to lift his taxpayer-funded protections, which he says makes it unsafe for him to come to the UK with his wife Meghan Markle and their two children, Archie and Lilibet.