Harry and Meghan are set to visit the UK next month – but William and Kate won’t be seeing them.
On September 5, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will travel from their home in California to Manchester for the One Young World Summit, which brings together young leaders from more than 190 countries. Meghan, 40, will deliver the keynote address at the opening ceremony.
The couple will then travel to Germany for an event to commemorate a year leading up to the Invictus Games in Düsseldorf on September 6, before returning to the UK on September 8 for the WellChild Awards in London, where Prince Harry will deliver a speech .
It’s the first time the couple has been in the UK since the anniversary celebrations in June, when they kept a low profile. They also visited her in April when they secretly met up with Charles and the Queen on their way to the Netherlands
Brothers Prince William and Prince Harry have not spoken to each other in person since the unveiling of a statue of their late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, last summer.
The Duke of Cambridge and his family are moving from Kensington Palace to Adelaide Cottage later this month, just a 10-minute walk from Windsor Castle. When the Sussexes stay at home, Frogmore Cottage is only a two minute drive from the Cambridges.
However, a source reportedly said the Sussexes’ visit will focus on “supporting several charities close to their hearts” and they have no plans to see the Cambridges.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured on Global Citizen Live in New York in September 2021) will be visiting the UK next month but have no plans to visit Prince William and Kate, instead focusing on their charity work, according to a source betrayed
It is considered unlikely that the couple will bring their children Archie, three, and Lilibet, 14 months. Harry took legal action against the government after being told he would no longer receive the “same level” of protection here after stepping down from royal life in 2020.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment. But a source told The Daily Telegraph the visit would come during a busy week with “a lot of moving parts”. The couple’s spokesman said: “Prince Harry and Meghan are delighted to be visiting several charities close to their hearts in early September.”
The visit to the UK comes just weeks ahead of Prince Harry’s expected book launch in October, written by Pulitzer Prize-winning ghostwriter JR Moehringer, who promises to “unveil a first-hand account of his life,” which ” accurate and absolutely true”.
According to royal observers, the couple are likely to want to spend time with the Queen after enjoying her for “barely 15 minutes” during this summer’s platinum anniversary celebrations.
Earlier this month, the Queen invited Harry and Meghan to join her on her retreat in the Highlands, The Sun reported.
Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams suggested that a meeting with the monarch would be more likely to take place in London or Windsor, both of which are close to the Cambridges at Kensington Palace.
He told Web: “The reports that the Queen had invited Harry and Meghan to Balmoral have never been confirmed. However, it would only make sense to see her when she is in Windsor and when they are based in Frogmore as they were only able to spend very little time with her during the Platinum Jubilee.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge watch the Royal Air Force Centenary flyby from the balcony of Buckingham Palace in July 2018
Harry and Meghan are visiting Manchester and London and if they stay at Frogmore Cottage they will be close to Queen and William. The Duke of Cambridge (pictured leaving Friday’s Jubilee Service at St Paul’s Cathedral in June) and his family are moving from Kensington Palace to Adelaide Cottage, just a ten-minute walk from Windsor Castle, later this month
The Queen’s diary could pose a challenge if the couple hopes to see her when they visit London or Windsor next month
“If she comes down as expected, she can receive the new Prime Minister in Windsor or at Buckingham Palace. It would also be time for her and the Sussexes to discuss the future, which will hopefully be more constructive than the recent past.
“They also need to realize that some form of reconciliation in the platinum anniversary year would certainly be beneficial to the image they want to have as philanthropists.”
Meanwhile, the Cambridges will escape the Kensington Palace fishbowl for a quieter life in the heart of the Windsor Estate – but will be without a live-in nanny for the first time since Prince George was born when they move home.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, both 40, are reportedly set to uproot their family from Kensington, west London, to Adelaide Cottage in Berkshire this summer.
That means the couple and their family are closer to the Queen; who has faced episodic mobility issues in recent months and has spent much of her time at Windsor Castle.
The Sussexes will travel to Manchester on September 5 for the One Young World Summit, an event bringing together young leaders from more than 190 countries (Pictured: the couple at St Paul’s Cathedral on June 3 during their recent visit to the UK) .
The couple (pictured last month ahead of Harry’s speech at the United Nations) will also visit Germany as part of their trip to support “several charities close to their hearts,” their spokesman said
The move to the four-bedroom house on the Windsor estate means they are “not having a nanny for the first time in their children’s lives”.
However, it will also allow the Cambridges to raise their three young children, Prince George, nine, Princess Charlotte, seven, and Prince Louis, four, away from the hustle and bustle of central London.
And it will emulate the efforts of William’s mother, Princess Diana, who reportedly wanted to create a “normal and private” life for him and Prince Harry – despite their royal status.
There will be no more room for live-in nanny Maria Borrallo when the family of five move into the four-bedroom Windsor cottage. She has been there for George, Charlotte and Louis 24 hours a day since 2014.
Dai Davies, a former head of royal security at Scotland Yard, said it was surprising that the Sussexes announced details of the trip so far in advance.
“The more time an individual has to plan and prepare, the greater the risk becomes,” he said.
I’m not what they make me out to be in The Crown, Charles jokes
By Michael Blackley, Scottish Political Editor of the Chron
Prince Charles believes he is “nowhere near” his portrayal in The Crown, a senior politician revealed yesterday.
The next in line to the throne has never commented publicly on the Netflix series, which critics say is riddled with inaccuracies.
But Scottish Labor leader Anas Sarwar has revealed that Charles spoke his mind to MPs when he attended the State Opening of Scotland’s Parliament last October.
Prince Charles believes he is “nowhere near” his portrayal in The Crown, a senior politician revealed yesterday. Pictured Emma Corrin as Princess Diana and Josh O’Connor as Prince Charles in the Netflix series
Normal protocol is that politicians shouldn’t disclose what royals say to them.
However, at an event at the Edinburgh Fringe, he said that when Charles met MSPs at a multi-faith ceremony in Edinburgh ahead of the state opening, Charles “came over and said, ‘Hello, nice to meet you all. I’m nowhere near what they make me out to be on Netflix.
Mr Sarwar added: “I thought that was a really interesting way of describing yourself.” He then told the Gilded Balloon audience, “I’m going to get in so much trouble for this because I don’t think you’re meant to have private conversations!” Clarence House declined to comment.