Lula da Silva says he was not warned by the responsible authorities about the invasion of government buildings in the capital Brasilia. He fires more security officers.
The president of Brazil, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, has leveled serious accusations against the country’s secret services. None of Abin’s air force, army and general intelligence agencies had alerted him to the attack on government buildings on January 8, he told Globo News. He fired 13 other army officers who worked for the Office of the National Security Adviser. The office is responsible for the security of the head of state.
He had already fired 40 servicemen in similar positions on Tuesday. The Federal Police must now be primarily responsible for Lula’s security.
Thousands of supporters of right-wing populist president-elect Jair Bolsonaro stormed Congress, the Federal Supreme Court and the Planalto Palace in Brasilia and destroyed the buildings. The situation was only under control a few hours later.
Lula blames Bolsonaro
Bolsonaro narrowly lost the second round to Lula in late October. He did not acknowledge his electoral defeat and flew to Florida two days before the end of his term. Lula, who took office on January 1, blames Bolsonaro for the outbreak of violence. He rejects it.
Lula also spoke about upcoming contacts with foreign leaders. On January 30, he wants to receive the chancellor of Germany, Olaf Scholz.