Marley Enjakovic coughs for five years before doctors find he swallowed small plastic toy

Marley Enjakovic coughs for five years before doctors find he swallowed small plastic toy

Boy, 8, has been coughing for FIVE years, leading doctors to diagnose him with asthma or allergies – until they find a small plastic toy stuck in his throat

  • Marley Enjakovic is said to have swallowed a plastic flower five years ago
  • The toy got stuck in his throat, causing a constant cough and breathing problems

A young boy underwent surgery to remove a plastic toy that had been lodged in his throat for five years.

Marley Enjakovic, eight, from Adelaide, swallowed the tiny flower a few years ago, which led to a constant cough and trouble breathing.

After numerous misdiagnoses and worsening symptoms, doctors discovered the toy was lodged in his airway.

Marley Enjakovic (pictured) swallowed a plastic flower many years ago, which led to constant coughing and difficulty breathing

Surgeons discovered and removed a plastic flower from Marley's throat (pictured)

Surgeons discovered and removed a plastic flower from Marley’s throat (pictured)

One day in December, Marley’s cough got so bad he could barely breathe and was hospitalized.

He was rushed to intensive care, where surgeons discovered and removed an artisanal plastic flower lodged in his throat.

The boy, with very few words, spoke to Sunrise from Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital on Tuesday morning before undergoing surgery to have his airway repaired.

When asked how it felt to have the piece of plastic stuck in his throat, he replied “nothing”.

Marley’s mother Skye said her son started having fits of coughing while eating, but over time he coughed “for hours” and said “it got scary”.

It got to such a stage that Marley was struggling with weekend basketball and soccer games as he couldn’t hold his breath.

His mother was told it was asthma but says she knew it was more since the cough was also triggered by eating and drinking.

When the toy was finally discovered, Skye said she was shocked but relieved.

Marley's mum Skye said her son started having fits of coughing while eating, but over time he coughed

Marley’s mum Skye said her son started having fits of coughing while eating, but over time he coughed “for hours” and said “it got scary” after swallowing the toy (example pictured).

“I was absolutely shocked. but also really relieved, to be honest, because I finally had an answer after all these years,” she said.

“My main concern at that point was that he was actually born with this condition.

“Because if he was born with it, he would have had other problems. Knowing it was caused by a foreign object was a small relief for me.

“My message to other parents is, if you feel something is wrong, just keep pushing it.

“I’m so glad I did it because it means I have him today.”