Joe McElderry says The X Factor needs to be more of a “safe space” for contestants

Joe McElderry says The X Factor needs to be more of a “safe space” for contestants

Joe McElderry has said he hopes The X Factor creates more “safe space” for contestants when it returns to screens.

It was previously reported that the singing competition is set to make a comeback after bosses struck a deal with Channel 5 for a new series.

Speaking on FUBAR Radio’s Access All Areas, Joe – who won the show in 2009 – said The X Factor and other similar shows “have a long way to go” before they become positive environments for artists.

Interview: Joe McElderry has said he hopes The X Factor creates more “safe space” for contestants when it returns to screens

He said: “I hope when it comes back they make more changes to make it a little bit safer for artists in terms of the way the deals are done and the artists’ aftercare and stuff like that. ‘

“We’re hearing more and more stories about how people have suffered on these shows, and not just on the X Factor but on many other reality shows as well. It’s not just that.

“I think changes are being made, but I think there’s still a long way to go. So I hope when it comes back it’s done in a safe place for the sake of the artists who go on the show.

Elsewhere during the interview, Joe opened up about the recent death of former Pop Idol contestant Darius Danesh.

Throwback: It was previously reported that the singing competition is set to make a comeback after bosses struck a deal with Channel 5 for a new series (pictured in 2009).

Throwback: It was previously reported that the singing competition is set to make a comeback after bosses struck a deal with Channel 5 for a new series (pictured in 2009).

The 41-year-old singer, who had a number one hit with Colourblind, was found dead at his home in the United States on August 11.

Joe said: ‘[He was] such a talent and such a nice guy. It is so sad. Even at such a young age. It’s tragic.”

“It’s such a loss, you know, and I was really just looking, so many friends who obviously knew him a lot better in the industry than I did, had so many wonderful things to say about him and how much he is a lovely person was. So yes, only thoughts go out to his family. It’s terrible.’

The interview comes after reports The X Factor is set to make a comeback after bosses struck a deal with Channel 5 for a new series.

Opinion: Joe - who won the show in 2009 - said The X Factor and other shows like it

Opinion: Joe – who won the show in 2009 – said The X Factor and other shows like it “have a long way to go” before they become a positive environment for artists

It has previously been claimed Simon Cowell has decided “the time is right” to revive the talent show that ended in 2018 after 15 years, with the news sparking a bidding war between broadcasters, according to Daily Star Sunday.

A source told the publication: “Once the X Factor was up for grabs there was interest from a number of networks.

“The X Factor is one of the most iconic shows in television history, so it’s no surprise a lot of channels were interested in it.

“The production company had their choice. After many discussions, the executives chose Channel 5.”

Backlash: Some former contestants including Rebecca Ferguson, Cher Lloyd, Jedward and Katie Waissel (pictured) have challenged the treatment they received on the show

Backlash: Some former contestants including Rebecca Ferguson, Cher Lloyd, Jedward and Katie Waissel (pictured) have challenged the treatment they received on the show

The insider added that appearing on a new channel gives the creative team an opportunity to completely overhaul the show.

Web has reached out to representatives from The X Factor, Simon and Channel 5 for comment.

The X Factor ran from 2004 to 2018 with a multitude of judges overseeing wannabes as they competed for a coveted record deal.

Although the competition had launched a variety of successful careers including those of One Direction, Little Mix and Olly Murs, some former contestants including Rebecca Ferguson, Cher Lloyd, Jedward and Katie Waissel have said the treatment they received on the show challenged.

Heartbreaking: Elsewhere during the interview, Joe opened up about the recent death of former Pop Idol contestant Darius Danesh and said he was

Heartbreaking: Elsewhere during the interview, Joe opened up about the recent death of former Pop Idol contestant Darius Danesh and said he was “such a lovely guy” (pictured in 2018)

In a previous interview, Joe said he thinks The X Factor gets heavier the longer it’s on the air.

He said: “I think they were trying to get a little too smart with the format, which I think got a little too cruel with all this six-chair challenge and telling people they’re through when they weren’t. ‘

He went on to explain why he wasn’t shocked it got the ax from ITV: “I think they hacked and changed the format so much towards the end that it was difficult to follow a little bit… If it’s not spoiled ‘why fix it.’

Claims: It has previously been claimed that Simon Cowell decided

Claims: It has previously been claimed that Simon Cowell decided “the time has come” to bring back the talent show, which ended in 2018 after 15 years (Joe pictured in 2009).