Food and drink maker Lyons Magnus is recalling more brands and batches of drinks that could potentially be contaminated with microbes, including those that cause botulism, according to an update released on Wednesday.
On July 28, the company recalled 53 different types of multi-brand beverage and nutritional products due to potentially unsafe microbial contamination. Now the company has expanded the recall to include additional batches of beverages, as well as additional brands that may be affected, including brands that sell pediatric beverages (like PediaSure and Kate Farms) and breastfeeding smoothies (Sweetie Pie Organics) marketed to breastfeeding parents.
Drinks on the list may contain Cronobacter sakazakii and now Clostridium botulinum, according to the recall posted on the US Food and Drug Administration’s website. Cronobacter infections are rare and can cause fever, vomiting, or urinary tract infections. But Cronobacter can be dangerous or life-threatening to babies, older adults, and people with compromised immune systems.
Clostridium botulinum can cause botulism, a rare but very serious disease that can damage the body’s nerves and lead to complications, including death. Although Clostridium botulinum was not found in the recalled beverages, consumers should discard any affected product, regardless of whether it looks or smells off, the FDA and Lyons Magnus said in the announcement.
Some batches of Oatly’s “Barista Edition” oat milk are being recalled.
Some batches of the following beverage brands are affected by the recall:
- Lyon barista style (Sweet Cream Frappe Base in 32-ounce cartons).
- Lyons Ready Care (Thickened milk drink in various consistencies; 2.0 high-calorie, high-protein vanilla-flavored drinks in 8- or 32-ounce cartons; 0-added sugar 1.7 high-calorie, high-protein vanilla-flavored nutritional drinks in 32- ounce cartons; Plant-Based Protein Shake in Vanilla or Chocolate in 8.45-ounce cartons).
- Cafe Grumpy (Ready-to-drink Cold Brew Coffee, 11 ounces).
- Tone it up (Plant-Based Protein Shake in Vanilla and Chocolate, 11 ounces).
- Uproot (Oatmilk Organic Oats and Peamilk Chocolate in 8-ounce cartons).
- bio valley (Organic Whole Milk and Organic Semi-Fat Milk with 1% Milkfat, Plain and Chocolate Flavored in 8-ounce cartons).
- Salted (Chocolate Flavored Complete Keto Meal Shake in 11-ounce cartons).
- Rejuvenate (Muscle Health+ Vanilla and Muscle Health+ Chocolate, 11 ounces).
- Optimal nutrition (Gold Standard 100% Whey in Chocolate and Vanilla, 11-ounce cartons).
- Sweetie Pie Organic (Organic Mango Banana Lactation Smoothie, Organic Apple Pear Lactation Smoothie, Mango Banana Smoothie and Apple Pear Smoothie).
- secure harvest (1.2 Cal for tube feeding in 8 ounce cartons).
- PediaSure crop (1.0 Cal for tube feeding in 8 ounce cartons).
- Lyon barista style (Almond, coconut, and oat milks in 32-ounce cartons).
- Pirq (Plant Protein 32ml cartons sold in Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel, Coffee and Strawberry flavors).
- Glucerna Original (8-ounce chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla boxes sold in cases of 24).
- Aloha (Plant-Based Chocolate Sea Salt, Coconut, Vanilla, and Iced Coffee Protein Cartons).
- intelligence (ColdCoffee and Oat Latte 330 ml cartons).
- Kate Farms (Pediatric Standard 1.2 Vanilla Drink, 250-milliliter cartons; Pediatric Peptide 1.0 Vanilla, 250-milliliter cartons; Pediatric Peptide 1.5 Vanilla, 250-milliliter; Nutrition Shake Coffee, Nutrition Shake Vanilla, and Nutrition Shake Chocolate, 11 ounces; Standard 1.4 Plain, 325 milliliters; Peptide 1.5 Plain, 325 milliliters).
- Oatly (Barista Edition Oat Milk in 32-ounce cartons; Barista Edition 11 ounces; Oat Milk 11 ounces; Oat Milk Chocolate 11 ounces).
- Premier Protein (chocolate, vanilla, café latte 330 ml cartons).
- MRE (Cookies and Cream, Milk Chocolate, Salted Caramel, and Vanilla Milkshake 12 oz protein shakes).
- stump town (Cold Brew Coffee in 325-ml cartons in Original Oat Milk, Horchata Oat Milk, Chocolate Oat Milk, Chocolate Cream & Sugar and Original Cream & Sugar flavors).
- Imperial (Med Plus 2.0 Vanilla Nutritional Drink, Med Plus NSA 1.7 Vanilla Nutritional Drink, Med Plus 2.0 Butter Pecan Nutritional Drink and Thickened Dairy Drink in various consistencies).
The main reason for the recall, according to the announcement, is that the products “did not meet commercial sterility specifications.” If you recognize any of the brands or beverages on the list, check the recall for a complete list of the specific lot codes, UPC numbers, and expiration dates of the recalled products. If your product information matches what is on the list, you should throw it away or return the drink to where you bought it for a refund. Additional questions can be directed to Lyons at 1-800-627-0557 or on the company’s website.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions about a medical condition or health goals.