Craig McKinnon was a happy man when he proposed to his fiancee while on holiday in South Africa, but four days later he was mourning the loss of Jess Prinsloo.
The young woman would have used the wrong spoon to brew her tea. It appears she suffered from and died of a severe milk allergy, reports The Mirror.
Instead of making wedding plans with his fiancee, Craig McKinnon, 24, returned to the UK with the young woman’s ashes last Monday.
“Most of her family lives in South Africa and she hasn’t been there for six years, so I knew there was no better place to propose to her,” the young man said.
The couple had been gone for a week when Craig knelt at God’s Window in Mpumalanga to pop the question.
The couple happily visited Jess’ mother in Johannesburg a few days later. The young woman accidentally came into contact with dairy products while stirring her tea.
Within seconds she went into anaphylactic shock and began gagging. She died in hospital the next day. She always had two epipes with her, but that didn’t save her.
“When Jess died, a part of me died too, but there is no one responsible for her death,” her fiancé said.
Craig, who works in the insurance industry, met Jess in college in 2019.