A U.S. Attorney will announce Thursday whether Alec Baldwin’s fatal shooting on the set of the 2021 film Rust will result in criminal charges against the actor or others involved.
• Also read: Alec Baldwin, for his part, is filing a complaint in the fatal on-set shooting
• Also read: Fatal shooting: Alec Baldwin settles with victim’s family
On October 21, 2021, that shooting at a ranch in Santa Fe, New Mexico, had become tragic when Mr. Baldwin activated a gun that was supposed to contain only blanks, but whose very real projectile killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. 42, and injured director Joel Souza.
This rare news shocked Hollywood and had a powerful impact far beyond American borders.
The 64-year-old actor, best known for ’30 Rock’, has always said he was assured his gun was harmless.
Alec Baldwin also claimed he did not pull the trigger, a claim that experts have questioned.
In particular, the police investigation focused on finding out how live ammunition could be found on the theoretically strictly forbidden set, precisely to avoid accidents.
Officials concluded that shooting gunsmith Hannah Gutierrez-Reed had put the ammunition in the gun used by Alec Baldwin instead of a dummy bullet.
Santa Fe County District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies and Andrea Reeb, a prosecutor assigned to investigate the shooting, will announce their decision Thursday, according to a statement.
Authorities said last year four people, including Alec Baldwin, could face criminal charges.
In August, the star said he didn’t expect anyone to be charged and told CNN he had hired a private investigator to establish responsibilities in the case.
The tragedy led to a series of civil lawsuits from several team members.
In October 2022, Alec Baldwin announced that he had reached a settlement ending civil lawsuits brought by Ms Hutchins’ family.
Her height was not disclosed.
At that time, it was also announced that the filming of “Rust” would resume in 2023.