Trump’s ex-National Security Advisor John Bolton says Trump is LYING and showing “desperation” for claims he has a “standing order” that any documents he took from the Oval Office be released
- Donald Trump’s ally John Solomon read a statement on Fox News last Friday that claimed the president had declassified all the documents he took from the Oval
- John Bolton told the New York Times it was ‘almost certainly a lie’
- Bolton said he had never heard of such an order before or after serving Trump
- A week ago today, FBI agents conducted an unannounced search of Trump’s home in Mar-a-Lago, Florida in connection with National Archives documents
- The unsealed warrant suggests Trump is under investigation for violating the Espionage Act, though it doesn’t go into great detail
Donald Trump’s former national security adviser John Bolton accused the ex-president of lying when he claimed on Friday he had a “standing order” that all documents taken from the White House during his tenure should be declassified.
Bolton said the claim was “almost certainly a lie” in a New York Times article published Sunday.
“When someone starts making up lies like that, it shows a real level of desperation,” he said.
It comes about a week after Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida was attacked in an unannounced search by FBI agents who took away a trove of documents sought by the National Archives and Records Administration.
The warrant, which was unsealed on Friday, suggests the former president stole top-secret documents and may have violated the Espionage Act.
Trump has offered multiple rebuttals, from claiming he was working with investigators to claiming the “raid” was a political “witch hunt.”
On Friday, former Fox News staffer John Solomon, who, according to the Times, represents Trump at the National Archives, read a statement claiming the documents had already been declassified.
“As we can all understand, everyone has to bring their work home from time to time. American presidents are no different,” Solomon read.
Former Trump National Security Adviser John Bolton said the ex-president’s “standing order” to release documents was “almost certainly a lie”.
“President Trump, in preparation for the next day’s work, often brought documents, including classified documents, to the residence. He had a standing decree that documents removed from the Oval Office and brought into the residence were deemed released the moment he removed them.
But Bolton told the Times he never heard such an order during or after his service in the Trump administration from April 2018 to September 2019.
Trump has claimed he is the victim of political persecution, although he has also previously said he is working with federal investigators
“I was never informed of any such order, procedure or policy when I came in,” Bolton said.
“If he said something like that, it would have to be remembered so people would know it existed.”
The former national security official added that Trump has installed secure devices at his homes in New Jersey and Florida so that documents brought with him on his travels do not have to be declassified.
Trump’s claim to have declassified all the documents comes after it was revealed his lawyers told investigators in June that all the top-secret records the ex-president brought to Mar-a-Lago are back in the possession of the National Archives be.
National Archives officials traveled to Mar-a-Lago in January to pick up 15 boxes of files to be left at the White House when Trump left office about 12 months ago.
The Archives later confirmed the Washington Post’s report that some of the recordings were marked “top secret.”
Trump’s latest statement appears to be undermined by earlier comments from his attorney, One America News host Christina Bobb, in an interview she gave the day after the raid.
Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida was targeted by an unannounced FBI search last Monday
She admitted that some files marked “classified” could be recovered, but hastily added that she believes they have “no significant significance” in comments made to the pro-Trump Right Side Broadcasting Network.
In the days since the FBI’s operation, Trump’s allies and supporters have ramped up verbal attacks on federal law enforcement and insisted that Attorney General Merrick Garland arm the Justice Department against President Joe Biden’s political rival.
On Sunday, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a joint bulletin warning of an “increase in violent threats” against officials online, including threats to plant a so-called dirty bomb outside FBI headquarters and public outcry to “civil war” and “armed insurrection”.
It said the FBI and DHS had “identified multiple articulated threats and calls for the targeted killing of judicial, law enforcement and government officials connected to the Palm Beach search, including the federal judge authorizing the Palm Beach search warrant.” Has”.
It also shows an incident last week when a gunman attempted to force his way into the FBI’s Cincinnati office and was shot dead in an altercation with police.