End of CP3 Family Probation for Cubans?  The US Embassy in Havana reports on the topic    Cuban Directory

End of CP3 Family Probation for Cubans? The US Embassy in Havana reports on the topic Cuban Directory

The US Embassy in Cuba continues to fail to respond to requests for information from Cuban visa applicants in videos posted to Instagram. Recently, an official raised the issue of the well-known probation CP3.

The Cuban Probationary Family Reunification Program (CFRP), introduced in 2007 and discontinued 10 years later, allowed certain US citizens and lawful permanent residents who had received a letter of invitation to apply for parole for their relatives in Cuba.

Once the Department of Immigration (USCIS) approved parole for these family members, they could travel to the United States and apply for residency after one year.

Although USCIS has resumed operations in Havana and is processing pending cases from the Cuban Family Reunification Probation Program, it is warning against this no new letters of invitation will be sent. In fact, the Consular Section of the United States Embassy asserts that “they have NO information or can answer questions about CFRP cases.”

What happens then to the pending CP3 cases in Cuba? In new video from the US Embassy in Havana on the CP3 family’s probation status, an official recalls that “the program was suspended indefinitely in 2017” while ensuring that “there may be other immigration alternatives.”

Therefore, he recommends visiting the USCIS website for more information.


Recently, an immigration attorney told the Miami press that the new parole is a faster way to bring loved ones to the United States.

“People with family applications can apply for these types of procedures and their relatives can come much quicker,” said Alexis Boentes, a journalist for Telemundo 51.

The Citizenship and Immigration Service informs that the beneficiary who is granted permission to enter the United States under the new probation can use it even if they have “another pending immigration case” and can “adjust their status” later .

Likewise, Cubans who receive temporary residency (or new probation) in the United States may apply to have their status changed to legal permanent residence through the Adjustment Act from the year of entry.