Former journalist Pierre Lecours died on Thursday morning after a long illness. He was 72 years old.
He was in charge of motorsports coverage at the Journal de Montréal for more than 30 years and in particular witnessed the beginnings of motorsports legend Gilles Villeneuve from his snowmobiling beginnings to his arrival in Formula 1.
Lecours suffered a stroke in 2013 and retired from the journal in 2008.
Affected by COVID-19
He lived in a CHSLD for many years and contracted COVID-19 last week. His precarious state of health (he had been fitted with a pacemaker shortly before his stroke) did not allow vaccination, reminded us of his brother Denis, who broke the news to us.
“He had his flaws and his qualities, but he never wanted to be mean to those he met. It is true that he had a tendency to anger the world and often regretted his behavior. I myself have undergone his medicine a couple of times. He was very protective,” said Denis Lecours.
The family had been tested less than a month earlier by the death of Jean, Pierre’s older brother.
Pierre Lecours was inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame in 2018. He is survived by his two daughters, Mélanie and Karine, his sisters Denise and Marie-Josée, and another brother, René.
Sometimes hard writing
Jacques Villeneuve worked with Lecours for many years and acknowledges that his relationship with him has not always been good.
“When my career was going badly he was very hard on me and I know other drivers have been through the same situation,” said Gilles’ brother.
“But we can’t fault him for not promoting motorsport, and in my case snowmobile racing, to the Quebec public. He knew how to share his passion with his readers and you can’t take that away from him. »