David LaVau, the man who survived after falling 60 meters and was found thanks to a piece of chocolate

David LaVau, the man who survived after falling 60 meters and was found thanks to a piece of chocolate

David Lavau was the protagonist of one of the most extraordinary survival stories in America in the last 6 years. At the age of 67, after a collision with another car in California, he fell off a 60-meter cliff, where he was seriously injured but survived.

He had high hopes that he would be found and rescued by a helicopter, but it wasn’t to be. I was all alone So how did he manage to save himself anyway?

time of the accident

“I’m flying, I can’t do it anymore,” were his words as he fell. Photo: ABC

LaVau said the other car’s two lights made him dizzy and caused him to take a detour 09/23. “I’m flying, I can’t do it anymore,” were his words.

The car crashed 200 feet down the mountainside into a ravine and 50 miles north of Los Angeles. He was stuck at the bottom of a steep ravine hoping to be found and rescued by a helicopter.

After the hours ticked by, LaVau got out and noticed the presence of another car. “My heart stopped beating. There was a man,” he said as he approached. Unfortunately, he was dead, which meant he was alone in that place.

He confessed that he only thinks of his family who are struggling and he wants to be with them as a last wish as he believes he will die because he is far away.

the 09/28, the children of LaVau noticed their father’s disappearance and, despite their differences, went in search of him. They hacked into his email and Facebook accounts to look for leads, but were later interrupted by police when they tracked down the phone.

The rescue and a chocolate

LaVau and his family drink chocolate together. Photo: ABC

Lavau survived by eating leaves, black ants and bumblebees, and drinking dirty water from the stream. He also left a final message in his wrecked car for his family to read should he be found dead. “It wasn’t my fault. I love you kids,” he said.

His loved ones may have clues as the man used his debit card to buy chocolate at a store near where he was before the accident. Before I close my eyes Lavau heard his son Sean’s voice: “Hello, is there anyone down there?” He immediately yelled with all the strength he had left: “Help! Help!” I’m here by the water.”

His son Sean rolled down the steep mountain with two others and made his way to his father. “He smelled so bad, but I still held him and held and held him and cried and cried and cried,” she said. Sean Lavau very excited.

After almost an intense week, the rescue helicopter finally came and the first thing they asked was what they could do for him. The man, who had broken his ribs, vertebrae and arm, replied: “One chocolate”.

He spent six weeks recovering in the hospital. Despite the difficult days, LaVau has no regrets as it was the way he was able to unite his family.