Darius Miles unaware of statement made on his behalf, new statement issued – AL.com

Darius Miles unaware of statement made on his behalf, new statement issued – AL.com

A new statement was released on Wednesday on behalf of former University of Alabama basketball player Darius Miles regarding his murder charges in a fatal shooting on the Strip.

Court filings released Wednesday showed Miles had hired attorneys Mary Turner, Kayla Griffin and Grace Prince of Turner Law Group to represent him in the indictment.

Earlier this week, attorneys William White, Clayton Tartt and Suzanne Norman of Boles Holmes White LLC released a statement from Miles saying he was “heartbroken” over the death of 23-year-old Jamea Jonae Harris and maintained his innocence.

Here is the full coverage of the case

On Wednesday, Turner said Miles was unaware of a previous statement released on his behalf.

After meeting Miles and his family, the Turner Law Group released this statement:

“Darius, his family and all of us at Turner Law Group first and foremost want to extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Jamea Jonae Harris. This is a tragic and sad situation and our hearts go out to all those who have been hurt by her death. Darius is devastated by this situation and deeply saddened by the death of Ms. Harris.

“Darius is also saddened by any negative light that falls on the University of Alabama, his coaches, teammates and family, all of whom have had a positive impact on his life. Darius and his family appreciate everyone who has expressed their concern, offered prayers and tried to help him during this difficult time and asks everyone to keep Ms. Harris’s loved ones in your prayers.

“Given statements by the media and others who were not present or otherwise have a vested interest in the outcome of this case, and which contradict the limited evidence previously released by local law enforcement, we encourage all to withhold judgment.”

Turner has requested a preliminary hearing for Miles, but it was not scheduled as of Wednesday night.

Attorney William White said his firm’s attorneys spent Sunday with Miles’ family and White spoke to Miles on the phone.

White described Miles’ family as distressed by the situation and said they helped draft the first statement.

White said it was technically correct that Miles himself was unaware a statement had been released.

“It was important to the family that they offer their condolences immediately,” White said.

The family interviewed other attorneys and eventually hired the Turner Law Group.

“We are pleased that he has found an attorney he is comfortable with,” White said. “This is important.

Miles, 21, is one of two suspects charged with fatal murder in Sunday’s deadly shooting.”

It was announced on Saturday that the youngster will be out for the season with an ankle injury. Following news of his arrest, it was announced that Miles was no longer on the team.

Both Miles, of Washington DC, and Michael Lynn Davis, 20, of Maryland, are charged with the murder of 23-year-old Harris, the mother of one young son.

Neither Davis nor Harris were affiliated with the university.

Harris was in Tuscaloosa over the weekend to visit her cousin and boyfriend.

Around 1:45 a.m. Sunday, Tuscaloosa police and University of Alabama police were dispatched to a shootout at the Walk of Champions at Bryant Denny Stadium.

A jeep had stopped there after sighting a University of Alabama police vehicle. Harris was dead in the vehicle, said Jack Kennedy, captain of the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes.

Harris’ friend, who drove Harris from the shooting, told police their vehicle was hit by gunfire. He had returned fire in self-defense and possibly hit a suspect – presumably Davis.

Investigators determined that the shooting took place on the 400 block of Grace Street off University Boulevard.

Harris’ mother, DeCarla Heard, told AL.com the ordeal began with the suspects trying to speak to Harris, who told them she had a boyfriend and wasn’t interested.

Court records state that Davis fired the fatal shots and that Miles admitted to providing Davis with the gun.