Brain  eating amoeba kills child after penetrating nose while swimming in river

Brain eating amoeba kills child after penetrating nose while swimming in river

A infant died in United States after a suspected rare infection caused by abrain-eating amoeba after the boy swam in a river Nebraska. The story goes back to August 8th when the boy went for a bath in the river elk horn. Symptoms appeared about five days after the day of infection. American health officials said the latter was caused by Naegleria fowleri, better known as a brain-eating amoeba. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed on Friday that it found traces in the baby’s cerebrospinal fluid.

MORE INFORMATION

Brain-eating amoeba infects boy while swimming: “Now he’s fighting for his life”

Brain-eating amoeba, so can be deadly

“We can only imagine the devastation this family must be feeling and our deepest condolences. We can honor the memory of this child by educating ourselves about the risk and then taking steps to prevent infection,” Douglas County Medical Director Lindsay Huse said Wednesday. The CDC explained that in water, the amoeba can enter the body through the nose, where it then travels from the nose to the brain. Protozoa like the brain-eating amoeba often thrive in warm freshwater lakes, rivers, canals, and ponds. Drought and heat – as a result of climate change – in Nebraska have made it easier for the organism to thrive in the river.