At least four dead after militants storm Karachi police headquarters

At least four dead after militants storm Karachi police headquarters

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) At least four people were killed and 14 injured after militants stormed the police headquarters in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi, officials said.

Militants attacked the police station with hand grenades and shots were fired, an eyewitness told CNN. According to spokesman Mohammad Khorasani, the Pakistani Taliban known as Tehreek e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack.

Two police officers, two rangers and a civilian were killed in the attack, according to Murtaza Wahab Siddiqui, a senior leader of the Pakistan People’s Party, the ruling party in Sindh province, where Karachi is located.

Of the 14 injured, one is in critical condition, he added.

The siege ended on Friday, and Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah later said the three militants responsible for the attack had been killed.

“Three attackers were behind the attack on the Karachi police office. All three are now dead. The police, rangers and army helped resolve this situation. I commend her for her courage,” he said in a video statement.

Video taken by rescue workers present at the scene of the police station attack on Friday.

During the attack, multiple gunshots were heard through the area where the headquarters is located, according to crime scene footage, and eyewitnesses described hearing multiple explosions.

The attack prompted the Sindh provincial government to declare a state of emergency in Karachi, according to its spokesman Sharjeel Memon.

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has condemned the attack. “Terrorists may have forgotten that Pakistan is the nation that defeated terrorism with its bravery and bravery,” he tweeted.

The US State Department has classified the Pakistani Taliban as a foreign terrorist organization since September 2010.

Pakistani authorities have yet to confirm the involvement of any group.

Rescue teams have reached the scene of the attack, according to a video released by the Chhipa Ambulance Service in which gunfire could be heard.