NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Nearly 10 months after the fatal shooting of Rust, which resulted in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office has received the FBI’s full forensic report.
Santa Fe Sheriff’s detectives received the completed FBI forensic reports on Aug. 2, according to a press release. They were then referred to the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator (OMI) “for review.”
“OMI had advised the sheriff’s office that they needed these forensic reports to complete their investigation,” the release said. The sheriff’s office received the “official OMI reports” on Wednesday.
According to the press release, detectives with the Suffolk County Police Department’s Homicide and Computer Crimes Unit in New York are still actively assisting the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office in obtaining and processing Alec Baldwin’s phone records.
The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office obtained the FBI’s full forensic report on the Alec Baldwin “Rust” shooting. (Getty Images)
“The District Attorney’s Office worked with the Suffolk County Police Department and Baldwin’s attorney to obtain the phone records,” Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said. “Once Suffolk County PD has completed its agency support and sent these recordings to New Mexico law enforcement, our detectives will need to thoroughly review these phone records for evidentiary purposes.”
‘RUST’ INVESTIGATION: ALEC BALDWIN MAY FIRE GUN WITHOUT PULLING THE TRIGGER, SANTA FE DA SAYS
Once the phone records, official OMI and forensic reports are received, the Santa Fe Sheriff’s case will be referred to the DA for review and a final charge decision.
In March, Baldwin spoke about the making of Rust during a film festival and said he was “hopeful” there would be no criminal charges against him.
Alec Baldwin spoke about the “Rust” tragedy at a film festival in Boulder, Colorado in March. (Jim Spellman/Getty Images)
During an interview at the Boulder International Film Festival, Ron Bostwick, the festival’s programmer and panel moderator, opened the door to Baldwin, 64.
ALEC BALDWIN “RUST” SET FILMING RE-ENACTED IN VIDEO SIMULATION
Baldwin spoke about there being “two victims,” while also seemingly pointing out that there are some people who have filed lawsuits that are “financially motivated” and are pursuing “deep-pocketed lawsuits,” reported .
“From the beginning, from the moment this happened, everyone – alongside all the fear and suffering, terrible feelings we have and of course there are two victims and no one else is a victim so to speak – we have with one situation where certain people aren’t that interested in finding out what really happened,” Baldwin said, according to THR.
This aerial photo shows Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe, NM, October 23, 2021. Actor Alec Baldwin held a gun on the set of a western filmed at the ranch on October 21; The gun fired a live projectile, killing camerawoman Halyna Hutchins. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong | Photo by Fred Hayes/Getty Images for SAGindie)
“I am very confident that when the facts come out we will not be held criminally responsible, but it has been life changing. And I don’t mean that in the usual sense of something like I was involved or someone died,” he said. “I mean, I was involved in a situation where someone got killed. It changed my life, especially in terms of the role of guns in film and television.”
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
The actor was holding a gun that was fired on a New Mexico movie set on Oct. 21, killing Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. Baldwin continues to maintain his innocence and said in a television interview that he did not pull the trigger.
His statements have angered Hutchins’ husband Matthew, who has since filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin. In addition to Matthew Hutchins, a handful of Rust crew members have filed lawsuits against Baldwin and the Rust production.
Baldwin has previously revealed that he “hopes” he won’t be prosecuted in the “Rust” tragedy. (Dimitrios Kamburis)
“The idea that the person holding the gun and causing it to discharge is not responsible is absurd to me,” Matthew Hutchins said in a February interview with NBC News ‘Today’ co-host Hoda Kotb.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
“But gun safety wasn’t the only issue on this set,” added Hutchins. “There have been a number of industry standards that have not been practiced and there are multiple culprits.”
Janelle Ash is an entertainment writer for Fox News Digital.