From . – 01/16/2023 08:38 (act. 01/16/2023 08:46)
Much of the building collapsed after the Russian attack. ©Portal/Clodagh Kilcoyne
After the Russian attack on a residential building in Ukraine, the number of casualties continued to rise. Many people are still missing.
So far, 35 bodies have been recovered after Russian rocket attacks on a residential building in the city of Dnipro, including two children, Dnipropetrovsk region military governor Valentin Resnichenko said on Monday. More bodies were recovered from the rubble overnight. 35 people are still missing.
Search for Russian missile attack on home continues
A large section of the nine-story skyscraper collapsed on Saturday after a rocket landed. At least 30 people are said to have died on Sunday night. “The search for people under the rubble continues,” said Resnichenko. Temperatures in Dnipro were below zero, which is why almost no survivors were expected. The military governor estimated the number of wounded at 75, including two children. More than 100 people survived the house collapse.
In his video speech on Sunday night, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the fight for everyone would continue. “And the rescue work will continue as long as there is even the slightest chance of saving a life.”
Another Russian attack on power infrastructure in Ukraine on Saturday
The attack on Dnipro, in the Dnipropetrovsk region, was the most important of several attacks on Saturday. The most violent wave of Russian attacks since the turn of the year was again directed against Ukraine’s power infrastructure. In addition to Dnipropetrovsk, the region around the capital Kyiv, Lviv in the west and Kharkiv in the east were also severely affected. There were power outages in many places.