After a court victory, Biden will begin dismantling Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” program

After a court victory, Biden will begin dismantling Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” program

Sarukhán: ‘Stay in Mexico’ doesn’t give security to migrants 2:06

(Portal) — Several thousand migrants who have been held up in Mexico under a Trump-era program may gradually enter the United States to file their asylum claims over the coming weeks and months, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Monday in English with The United States.

The move comes after the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Joe Biden administration’s attempt to end the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) program, which urged non-Mexican immigrants to return to Mexico to seek resolution of their cases to be awaited in the US. which sometimes took months or years.

The Biden administration will no longer enroll migrants in MPP, and those currently waiting in Mexico will be removed from the program and allowed to enter the United States when they return for their next scheduled court dates, DHS said in a statement.

The program, informally known as Remain in Mexico, was launched in 2019 under President Donald Trump. Under Trump, the initiative forced more than 65,000 non-Mexican asylum seekers across the border, where they waited in appalling and often dangerous conditions.

Biden ended the MPP shortly after taking office in January 2021 as part of his effort to reverse his predecessor’s hard-line policies. But the termination was blocked by a federal judge in August 2021, forcing Biden to restart the show and eventually take the lawsuit to the Supreme Court.

As of July 6, nearly 5,800 migrants had been sent to Mexico under a revised version of the program, according to DHS statistics.

The Biden administration was separately blocked in court from ending another Trump-era order known as Title 42, which allows border officials to deport migrants without giving them the ability to seek asylum to protect the to limit the spread of Covid-19.