A Florida man who died after eating raw oysters had cocaine and fentanyl in his system

A Florida man who died after eating raw oysters had cocaine and fentanyl in his system

A South Florida man who died in July after eating raw oysters, which contained dangerous bacteria found in warm seawater, had cocaine, cannabis and fentanyl in his system, among other drugs, a medical examiner’s report revealed.

An autopsy for Roger “Rocky” Pinckney, 44, found oxycodone and opiates were also found in his body after his death on July 31, the Broward County coroner said.

Aside from testing positive for drugs in his system, the medical report said Pinckney’s blood had Vibrio vulnificus, a pathogenic bacterium that causes an infection that often occurs after eating seafood, particularly raw or undercooked oysters. occurs.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say the bacteria doesn’t make an oyster look, smell, or taste any different. It added that about 80,000 people contract vibriosis and about 100 die from it each year in the United States. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

Pinckney celebrated his 44th birthday at the Rustic Inn in Fort Lauderdale by feasting on Louisiana oysters.

He had enjoyed the celebratory dinner with his daughter Jaelyn on July 21, but two days later he arrived at Memorial Pembroke Hospital with a fever and abdominal pain, reports the South Florida SunSentinel.

Roger Pinckney, 44, had drugs in his system including cocaine and fentanyl, a coroner’s report revealed. He became ill after eating a bad oyster at the Rustin Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida during his birthday party. He underwent a series of emergency surgeries and a double amputation before dying on July 31

Pinckney had been eating oysters that originated in Louisiana before contracting Vibrio, a bacterium typically caught by eating raw or undercooked seafood (stock image)

Pinckney had been eating oysters that originated in Louisiana before contracting Vibrio, a bacterium typically caught by eating raw or undercooked seafood (stock image)

Pinckney, known to friends and family as Rocky, died weeks earlier on July 31 after eating oysters to celebrate his 44th birthday at the Rustic Inn in Fort Lauderdale

Pinckney, known to friends and family as Rocky, died weeks earlier on July 31 after eating oysters to celebrate his 44th birthday at the Rustic Inn in Fort Lauderdale

Vibriosis: Disease transmitted by undercooked seafood

Vibriosis is a disease caused by ingestion of the Vibrio bacterium.

Usually this is ingested by eating raw or undercooked seafood. However, it can also be caught by exposing damaged skin to seawater.

Those infected experience watery diarrhea, cramps, nausea, and vomiting within the first 24 hours.

In most cases, however, the disease remains mild and resolves within three days without treatment.

Depending on the strain, up to a third of those infected can die from the disease.

In some cases, antibiotics can be used to fight off the infection.

About 100 people die from the disease in the United States each year.

Source: CDC

Testing positive for Vibrio, he underwent a series of emergency surgeries and a double amputation before dying on July 31.

Gary Oreal, who runs the Rustic Inn, told the newspaper Pinckney worked at the restaurant years ago.

“Over the course of 60 years, we’ve served a couple billion oysters, and we’ve never had anyone get sick like this guy,” Oreal said.

Inspectors from the Florida Department of Health checked the restaurant’s kitchen and examined the oyster stock the day after Pinckney fell ill, Oreal told the newspaper.

“We passed with flying colors and were allowed to continue selling oysters,” he said, adding that the oysters currently served are from Louisiana.

“If there was a problem with the oyster bed, we would know because others would have gotten sick.”

The restaurant has a sign warning diners of the risks of eating raw shellfish.

“Oysters are the top of the mountain for dangerous foods,” Oreal said. “I’ve eaten them my whole life and will continue to do so. But you put yourself at risk if you do it.’

Pinckney was described by his father as a “hard working kid”.

“He was the life of every single party,” said Pinckney’s daughter Jaelyn, who ate with him at the Rustin Inn. ‘Never bored for a single moment around him.’

Pinckney, known to friends and family as Rocky, died weeks earlier on July 31 after eating oysters to celebrate his 44th birthday at the Rustic Inn in Fort Lauderdale

Pinckney, known to friends and family as Rocky, died weeks earlier on July 31 after eating oysters to celebrate his 44th birthday at the Rustic Inn in Fort Lauderdale

Although Jaelyn and other guests at the restaurant ate oysters that night, no one else got sick.

Jaelyn visited her father in the hospital every day before he died.

“It still doesn’t feel entirely real,” she said. “I don’t know how one oyster can cause all this.”

Pinckney’s family paid tribute to him in a GoFundMe post, describing him as a “fighter.”

They wrote: “Rocky fought to the end – so much so that none of us thought it was the end. Rocky will be greatly missed and his legacy and all our memories of him will live on.

“We are continuing this fundraiser to help his two beautiful children, Jaelyn and Austin.

“We love you, Rocky.”

As of Thursday night, $10,660 had been raised from a $250,000 goal to help fund Pinckney’s funeral.

1660890804 328 A Florida man who died after eating raw oysters had

Rodney Jackson, 55, became ill after contracting bacteria from oysters he bought at a market in Pensacola, Fla., and later died in hospital on August 9. He was a beloved Air Force veteran who worked in banking for much of his life

Rodney Jackson died after eating the seafood Roger Pinckney died from eating a raw oyster

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say Vibrio bacteria don’t make an oyster look, smell or taste any different. The agency said about 80,000 people get vibriosis in the United States each year, and about 100 people die from it

Meanwhile, nine days after Pinckney’s death, an Air Force veteran became the second man to die in the Sunshine State from the same bacterial infection after eating raw Louisiana oysters.

Rodney Jackson, 55, became ill after contracting bacteria from oysters he bought at a Pensacola market and later died in hospital on August 9.

Jackson, who was a husband, father and grandfather, fell ill earlier this month after eating oysters he bought at a market before being taken to Ascension Sacred Heart’s intensive care unit, where he died.

“You just have to know Rodney. That’s always been his passion — helping people, helping the community,” his wife, Patricia, told the Pensacola News Journal.

“His character and compassion will always live with all of us,” Pastor Marcel Davis, who had been friends with Jackson for over 20 years, told WEAR TV.

Before his death, Jackson, a US military veteran, had returned to Pensacola with his family to work at the Studer Community Institute, which helps local businesses grow.

Institute President Rachael Gillette told WEAR TV that they will continue his work and legacy.

“We just know now that we have to do it,” Gillette said. “We don’t know how we’re going to do it without Rodney. It’s going to be very difficult, but we have to do it because it’s important work – and we have to do it to honor his memory.”

She added: “He’s really helped companies that were struggling and didn’t know where to turn. Rodney was a beacon of hope for them in this community.’

The Rustic Inn Crabhouse, where celebrities such as LeBron James and Blac Chyna have dined

The Rustic Inn Crabhouse, where celebrities such as LeBron James and Blac Chyna have dined

Celebrities like LeBron James and Blac Chyna have frequented the Rustic Inn before dying to try its famous garlic crab. It is also claimed locally that Johnny Depp once worked there as a busboy.

The Florida Department of Health says 26 people have contracted the bacteria so far this year, and six of them later died, after eating raw shellfish, including oysters. In 2021, 10 out of 34 patients died. In 2020, there were seven deaths among the 36 patients.

Infections related to the bacteria are common in oysters and raw seafood during the summer months when water temperatures are warmer, said Professor Robert “Wes” Farr of the University of West Florida.

“Serious infection is rare, but the risk is still there,” Farr said.

Can you really only eat oysters in R months?

According to folk tradition, oysters should only be eaten during the months that have an “R” in their name.

Foodies who follow the myth should therefore avoid eating fresh oysters during the months of May, June, July and August.

This is to avoid watery shellfish or worse, nasty food poisoning.

Traditionally, the myth stems from the fact that it’s harder to keep raw fish fresh during the warmer summer months.

Summer-spawned oysters are also often smaller, waterier, and taste-displeasing.

But with modern refrigeration, the problem of keeping oysters fresh on ice is minimal.

One study suggests that people have been following this “R month” practice for at least 4,000 years.

Oyster lovers should always aim to eat raw fish from reliable, reputable sources and restaurants.